Liposuction near Fort Lauderdale, FL
Not all fat cells are the same, and that’s why you are successful at toning parts of your body while other areas do not change. Liposuction at our Coral Springs plastic surgery practice eliminates the more stubborn fat pockets, allowing men and women in Fort Lauderdale and Broward County to have their ideal beach bodies.
What is Liposuction? A Body-Slimming Procedure
Liposuction can produce excellent results for men or women with unsightly bulges which seem immune to diet and exercise. Reducing these localized fat deposits can create a much more attractive weight distribution and a smoother, more slender body outline. It often dramatically improves the patient’s appearance in bathing suits, slacks, and other close-fitting garments. Patients also enjoy no longer having to buy oversized garments to accommodate bulges in a localized area such as hips, buttocks, thighs or upper arms. Also called lipoplasty, this procedure uses small tubes, or cannulas, inserted through tiny incisions, to remove excess fat deposits from specific locations in the body. Areas of the body where fat deposits can cause localized bulges include the neck, upper arms, upper and lower abdomen, flank areas (love handles), back, inner thighs, outer thighs and hips (saddlebags), buttocks, knee areas, calves, and ankles.
Good Candidates for Liposuction
Healthy men and women who have localized fat deposits (but are not extremely overweight) are good candidates for this procedure. Skin elasticity is also a factor. When fat is removed from beneath the skin, the skin can become somewhat looser. The degree of looseness depends on the elastic qualities of your skin before surgery and the amount of fat removed. If your skin is excessively lax before the procedure, the additional looseness after suctioning may be undesirable. In this situation, you may require excision of some tissue for an optimal result. Although there is no absolute age at which the skin becomes too loose for the procedure, after age 45 to 50 (or sometimes sooner), the elasticity of the skin decreases in most patients.
Liposuction Before and After Photos in Fort Lauderdale, FL
What Happens During Liposuction?
Dr. Levens will draw detailed lines on your body, carefully marking the areas of localized fat to be suctioned. Tiny incisions are then made in concealed areas, where possible, and small suction tubes are inserted to the proper depth of the fat deposit. The tube or cannula is then passed back and forth until an appropriate amount of fat has been removed. The cannula is then moved a small distance, and the process is repeated. The entire bulging area is treated in this way, carefully removing small amounts of fat at a time, and constantly checking fat thickness and contour as suctioning proceeds. When Dr. Levens has finished suctioning on one side of the body (such as a hip or thigh), the opposite side is treated in the same way. He will compare the two sides and adjust suctioning to create the best match. Finally, the incisions are carefully closed, and an elastic garment or dressing is placed to put gentle pressure on the skin and prevent excess fluid accumulating in the area suctioned. All of your incisions will be carefully closed with stitches leaving small scars. You can shower within a few days.
- Suction lipoplasty does not significantly reduce body weight. Its purpose is to create a smoother profile by reducing the appearance of localized bulges.
- The amount of fat which can be removed depends on the amount present in each deposit. It is necessary to leave a thin layer of normal fat beneath the skin to prevent rippling or dimpling of the skin surface. Suctioning only removes fat. If you have a bulge due to muscle or bone, it will not be removed.
- The procedure will not eliminate rippled or “cellulite” appearance of the skin present prior to surgery. In fact, it is possible for liposuction to create small areas of skin rippling, dimpling, or contour irregularity.
- You will likely have some swelling, bruising, and numbness over the treated areas after surgery. These symptoms typically fade in two to three weeks or sooner, and you’ll notice feeling starting to return (if it was decreased) in about two weeks. You will see an immediate contour change, but it can take three months for maximum improvement to be achieved.
- In a small percentage of cases, risks common to all surgical procedures can occur, such as bleeding, infection, and scar tissue formation. Dr. Levens will give you detailed information about these and other rare risks during his discussion with you and in written information about liposuction.
Recovery after Liposuction Procedures
Most patients have mild to moderate discomfort for a few days after the liposuction procedure. Some say the feeling is similar to that of muscle soreness after intense exercise. Florida plastic surgeon Dr. Levens will prescribe pain medication if necessary. You will be asked to wear an elastic garment our office will provide for three weeks or more after surgery, depending on the areas and extent of your procedure. This is done to minimize fluid collection and swelling in the treated areas. You may develop bruising in the treated areas, which will gradually fade over 1-2 weeks. Liposuction is done on an outpatient basis unless many areas are treated at one time, or a large volume of fat is removed. The typical schedule of recovery is:
- Bruising and swelling for 7 to 21 days.
- Return to work and social activities within 2 to 3 days.
- Aerobic or strenuous activity within 14 days.
Dr. Levens works with Contour MD to offer garments for patients to wear after plastic surgery in Coral Springs.
How Much Does Liposuction Cost?
If you are interested in finding out how much your liposuction procedure will cost, your first step is to meet with Dr. Levens for a consultation. He will develop an individualized treatment plan that will determine the cost of the liposuction procedure. After the appointment, we provide you with a total cost and explain our payment options, including cash, personal check, Visa®, MasterCard® and American Express®. If you are interested in financing your liposuction, our patient coordinators will explain how to apply for CareCredit®, Alphaeon Credit, or Prosper® Healthcare Lending.
Learn More about Liposuction
Dr. Levens will review every aspect of liposuction with you during your complimentary consultation. Patient Coordinators Diana and Chris will discuss fees, financing plans, and scheduling, and answer any additional questions. There is absolutely no obligation to schedule a procedure. To arrange your consultation, please contact us today.
- Liposuction in Plantation, FL
- Liposuction in Miramar, FL
- Liposuction in Pembroke Pines, FL
- Liposuction in Pompano Beach, FL
- Liposuction in Deerfield Beach, FL
- Liposuction in Boca Raton, FL
Dr. Levens has been providing liposuction for patients in Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, and throughout Broward County since 1989.