With aging and changes in body weight, fat can accumulate in the neck and chin area. Meanwhile, the skin may lose elasticity. Liposuction of the neck offers an effective solution for unwanted neck fat. When done by a qualified plastic surgeon, the procedure can provide a more sculpted contour in your lower face and neck.
Because neck liposuction is performed on an outpatient basis, and because it typically yields long lasting results, this procedure is a good option for people seeking to improve the shape, profile, and overall appearance of the chin, jawline, and neck.
Good Candidates for Neck Liposuction
Both women and men who have fat in the neck area can benefit from neck liposuction.
Neck liposuction is most effective in treating:
- Deposits of fat below the chin
- Sagging tissue that obscures the contour of the jaw
Neck liposuction is solely intended to treat fat deposits beneath the chin and around the neck. If you experience these conditions, neck liposuction may be right for you.
Before and After Neck Liposuction in Coral Springs, Florida
View more plastic surgery photos
What Happens During Neck Liposuction?
After administering the appropriate form of anesthesia, Dr. Levens will make small incisions behind each ear and just under the chin. These incisions are strategically placed in inconspicuous locations to reduce the noticeable appearance of postoperative scars.
After the incisions have been made, a small tube called a cannula is inserted beneath the skin and excess fat is carefully extracted by means of a specialized vacuum. After all deposits of unwanted fat are removed, and the desired neck and submental contours are achieved, the cannula is taken out and all incisions are closed.
Neck Liposuction: Special Considerations
- It's important to keep in mind that neck liposuction is only used to remove accumulations of fat cells. While this provides a tighter, more youthful-looking neck, chin, and jawline, it may not be adequate for everyone. If you experience severe skin laxity or excessive pockets of sagging skin, you may need to receive a face lift or neck lift.
- While recovery is usually fairly quick following neck liposuction, infection at incision sites is possible. To minimize the risk of infection, be sure to follow all directions for postoperative care provided by Dr. Levens.
- Neck liposuction does not treat wrinkles or other skin surface irregularities. If you experience these indications in the regions of skin surrounding your neck, jawline, and chin, you may need to receive a specialized skin treatment in addition to neck liposuction.
- Even while working to remove subcutaneous fat cells, Dr. Levens will leave some of your fat intact. A thin layer of body fat is actually necessary for the appearance of tight, healthy skin, and if too much of this fat is removed, the skin may take on a rippled, misshapen appearance.
- As a side effect of the procedure, expect some degree of numbness around incision sites. While this numbness usually subsides within about six weeks, it can sometimes last as long as three months.
Recovery After Neck Liposuction
Immediately following neck liposuction, Dr. Levens will give you a compression garment to help reduce postoperative swelling. With the aid of this garment, bruising and swelling should begin to resolve toward the end of the first week following treatment.
Around this same time, you should be able to return to work, as long as you limit your physical activity. Full resolution of bruising and swelling usually occurs two to three weeks after the operation, at which time you should also be able to return to normal physical activity.
Learn More About Neck Liposuction in Coral Springs
To learn more about neck liposuction in Coral Springs and to schedule a consultation, contact Dr. Levens toll free at 1-866-752-1020, or locally at 954-752-1020. During your consultation, Dr. Levens can help you decide whether or not neck liposuction will be the most effective form of treatment for you and your unique body type.